At PhotoPlus Expo this week the folks at Think Tank Photo launched a great looking new line of camera backpacks designed primarily for mirroless systems and everyday usage with laptops and tablet computers. The Perception line takes its design queues from the Shape Shifter pack, a pack that’s one of my favourites and is nearly always with me. Sometimes I’ve wanted something a little smaller though and the Perspective series delivers that in three sizes, the Tablet, the 15 and the Pro.
NOTE: Buy any of these bags by clicking through the links on this page and you’ll get the chance to select a free gift at checkout for being a friend of this blog!
The Perception Tablet is designed for the iPad Mini plus a small mirrorless kit, the Perception 15 will take a full sized iPad as well as a 15″ laptop and a small mirrorless kit and finally the Perception Pro will take an iPad and 15″ laptop again but allow you to carry a slightly larger camera kit.
I’m a big fan of the camera compartments in the design of these bags. It’s a system that’s worked very well for me in the Shape Shifter, offering more than enough protection for general carrying duties but without adding too much bulk to a pack. I see this perception series as an excellent general purpose “around town” backpack where you always want to have a camera with you in some capacity, with the sweet spot probably being the Perception 15 in the middle.
Prices range from $90-150
Info From Think Tank
Think Tank Releases Six Perception™ Premier Daypacks
SANTA ROSA, CALIF. – Think Tank Photo introduced its smallest, lightest backpacks, the Perception™ series. Designed specifically for mirrorless systems, the Perception series will become the “go-to” pack for photographers looking to add flexibility to their workflow while using a smaller system along with a laptop and tablet. It’s an all-new and advantageous way to carry smaller camera systems and is ideal for travel and city walk-arounds.
The Perception series comes in two colors, black and taupe, and three sizes. The smallest size, The Perception Tablet™, accommodates a mirrorless system and an iPad Mini. The largest size, the Perception Pro™, holds a 15? laptop and a 10? tablet, plus one mirrorless body or small DSLR with a small to medium zoom attached (lens hood reversed). Plus, the largest size fits four to five more lenses or a large GoPro® kit.
“Our designers took inspiration from Think Tank’s award-wining and popular Shape Shifter backpack, which includes protective features to enclose and secure camera gear, but with the Perceptions it is scaled to a smaller form factor,” said Think Tank Photo’s CEO and lead designer Doug Murdoch. “For the first time mirrorless system users have a backpack designed specifically for them that has Think Tank’s commitment to innovation, workflow, and quality. The fitted backpack straps accommodate either male or female body types.”
- Cinch cord pockets provide flexibility for gear.
- Dedicated laptop/tablet compartment.
- Interior organizer provides quick access to pens, business cards and keys.
- Extra space to fit a jacket, food, water bottle or additional gear while on the go.
- Breathable padded airflow harness with adjustable sternum straps.
- Removable waist-belt.
- Tripod-carry on the front of bag allows for access to gear even when tripod is attached.
- Stretchable side pockets hold water bottles or compact umbrellas.
- 600 denier twill fabric feels soft yet durable matte finish.
- Top pocket with plush liner for smart phones.
- Specially designed divider holds a pancake lens or small accessories.
- Seam-sealed rain cover included.
Perception Tablet: Mirrorless camera, iPad Mini, GPS device, smartphone, radio, headlamp, knife. Examples:
- Fuji XT-1 with 18–55mm f/2.8–4 attached (hood reversed) + 35mm f/1.4.
- Canon Rebel T5i or Nikon D5300 with 18–55 kit lens attached + 50mm f/1.8.
- GoPro Hero 3, batteries, memory cards, cables, charger, remote, etc.
Perception 15: Fits a 15” laptop + 10” tablet (iPad), plus one mirrorless body or small DSLR with a small to medium zoom attached (lens hood reversed) plus 1–2 additional lenses, or a medium GoPro kit. Examples:
- Sony a7 with a 28–70mm f/3.5–5.6 attached (hood reversed) + 55mm f/1.8 ZA.
- Canon Rebel T5i or Nikon D5300 with 18–55 kit lens attached + 55–250 f/4–5.6 (or 55–200).
- 1–2 GoPro Hero 3, extra housing, mounts, batteries, memory cards, cables, charger, remote.
Perception Pro: Fits a 15” laptop + 10” tablet (iPad), plus one mirrorless body or small DSLR with a small to medium zoom attached (lens hood reversed), plus 4–5 more lenses or a large GoPro kit. Examples:
- Sony a7 with 24–70mm f/4 ZA attached (hood reversed) + 70–200mm f/4 + 35mm f/2.8 + 55mm f/1.8 ZA + F60M flash.
- Canon Rebel T5i or Nikon D5300 with 18–55 kit lens attached + 70–300mm f/4–5.6 + 50mm f/1.8 + 100mm (or 105mm) macro + flash.
- 1–5 GoPro Hero 3, extra housings, mounts, batteries, memory cards, cables, charger, remote, suction cups, chesty, etc.
Exterior: For superior water-resistance, all exterior fabric has a durable water-repellent (DWR) coating, plus the underside of the fabric has a polyurethane coating. It is also constructed with 600D twill, YKK® RC zippers, 320g dry-flow air mesh, nylon webbing, and 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
Interior: Removable closed cell foam dividers, polyurethane backed liner & dividers, 200D polyester, laminated non-woven backed nylex liner, 2x polyurethane coated nylon 190T seam-sealed rain cover, and 3-ply bonded nylon thread.